I too was in Alaska in 1964. We lived on base at Elmendorf, across from Aurora Elementary. We had just finished supper (we had fried eggs, fried bacon, grits). Normally my sisters would have been sitting on high chairs in front of the china cabinet for supper, but this night we had eaten early and Mom would feed them later. The ground tumbled and things began falling. Dad yelled for everyone to get outside. Dad and I ran to the playpen to get my sisters. As we passed the china cabinet, it turned over spilling broken china everywhere. When the shaking stopped, everything was turned over in our apartment. Bacon grease was all over the floor mixed with glass and other articles of food. There was no water or electricity and then all the men were called back to work. All the women in the complex gathered at our house and we bedded down to wait out the night.
My brother was delivering papers at the barracks on the 3rd floor when the shaking began. He said the men came running out, pushing him against the wall. He said they were trying to jump out the windows. He said he couldn’t move. He showed up at the house about 30 minutes later, completely frazzled. We had forgotten all about him during this ordeal.
All I remember after that was Mom trying to get out of Alaska after that.